BAOC COOL/BAWS #8 (Open to All)
Tilden Regional Park
Date: (Sun.) Mar. 4, 2012
Location: Berkeley, CA
Event Directors: , - 925.934.6567
Course Setter: Joseph Doetsch
Type: B; Meet #8 and season championships — Regular event for everyone
On Sunday, March 4, 2012, over 200 people showed up to the Tilden Park "B" event, and COOL & Winter Series season finale event — and what a gorgeous day we had! Sunny and warm enough for those socializing in the assembly area, but not too hot for those out "enjoying" the steep terrain that is Tilden.
Joseph Doetsch set the standard seven courses, taking full advantage of the built-in "gnarliness" factors found at Tilden — something our BAOC regulars are used to, but probably a surprise to our two visitors from the ROC South Africa and Quantico O-clubs.
Mystery at Tilden — or the Case of the Disappearing Controls
One of the more interesting challenges of the day wasn't found on the more advanced courses, but was created when controls went missing on the White and Yellow courses. We were a bit concerned at base camp when we had reports that three of the common controls for these two courses had gone missing. Our course setter, Joseph, took off to replace the missing controls as quickly as possible, and to nose around to find out what was happening. The mystery was soon solved, however, and the park employee who had been dutifully removing foreign objects from the trails returned them to us. Those, coupled with a fourth control that somehow managed to relocate itself out on the advanced courses, resulted in a period of confusion in the E-punch tent. But our stalwart E-punch team worked together to return chaos to order, giving us reliable results at the end of the day.
Of the 23 timed entries on the White course, Jamie MacLean took first place and Natalie Pelayo came in second.
With at least 37 entries, the Yellow course was not only the most popular course of the day, but also perhaps the most contested, with only a 27-second spread between the top three finishers. Gian-Andrin Coolen took first place amongst the boys, with Julia Doubson and Natalie Kim, first and second place winners for the girls, coming in hot on his heels. (The fact that the Yellow course is the "home course" for the fourteen Middle Schools entered in the COOL league may have something to do with the large number of entries on this course!)
The Orange course was enjoyed by at least 27 runners, with William Morris coming in well ahead of the pack for the men, and Ruby Spring taking first place for the women.
In the advanced courses:
- The Brown course winners were Wes Willett in first and Ingert Svard in second.
- The Green course was dominated by COOL Varsity runner Matej Sebo.
- First place for the Red course was taken by François Léonard.
- Mikkel Conradi and Dennis Wilkinson traded off legs through much of the Blue course, with Mikkel finishing less than 2 minutes ahead.
Thanks to our Volunteers!
This was my first time as an Event Director, and my first time seeing all the activities required from start-to-finish to make one of our events happen. It reminded me a lot of watching a group of carnies or roadies at work, turning a quiet hillside park into a bustling event full of action, and then returning it to its original peaceful state hours later.
Thanks to all the people who helped make our own three-ring circus the fun event it was:
- To Jay Hann, for getting things started behind-the-scenes in December.
- To Joseph Doetsch for the courses he set, and Jonas Kjäll, for vetting them.
- To Bob Cooley, for creating and printing the maps for Tilden (and for all the other times he has kept us "on the map").
- To Ben Legg, Jay Hann, and Gavin Wyatt-Mair for bringing the food.
- To Joseph Doetsch, Gavin Wyatt-Mair, Jay Hann, Johanna Merriss, Peter Graube, Wayne Caplinger, and Susan Wittstock for helping to set things up.
- To James Wilson and Steve Haas for keeping the Registration lines flowing.
- To Peter Graube for running the Beginners Clinics, and patiently welcoming many beginners to the joy that is orienteering.
- To the cadre of Berkeley High School parents who helped out with monitoring the food table (Teddi Baggins), the Starts (Susan Wittstock and Karen Laws), and the Finish/Results (Dan Calloway and Karen Laws) — and generally cheering for anyone who came running towards the Assembly area with a map in hand.
- To our (mostly) unflappable E-punch volunteers: Jay Hann, Jeff Lanam, Rosemary Johnson, and Evan Custer. They reconfigured the courses and controls on the fly, and three of them still managed to run courses!
- To the gentleman who came down and helped me close the Start area. I'm sorry I didn't get your name!
- To Harold and Penny DeMoss and their control pick-up crew: Greg Khanlarov, Mikkel Conradi, Joseph Doetsch, Steven Harrison, Cedric Lasfargues, Steve Gregg, Luc Poppe, and Evan Custer.
- To Jay Hann, for all his work all season with the COOL and Winter Series (and answering a lot of questions from this newbie.)
- To Gavin, Jay, Steve Gregg, and David Hallsted, for your help with tear-down and clean-up.
- To anyone else whose name I might not have mentioned. If you helped in any way, you were part of the success of this event.
- To Joan Roos, for bringing the newly-refurbished First Aid kit, and being available for assistance.
- And finally, to Gavin, my co-Director — I couldn't have asked for a better trainer.
BAOC COOL/BAWS #8 (Open to All)
Tilden Regional Park
Sunday, March 4, 2012
Please tell about any corrections needed.
BAOC COOL results for this meet are available here.
Winter Series (BAWS) results for this meet are available here.
Also see control-by-control timing in the WinSplits results (http://www.obasen.nu/winsplits/online/en/show_event.asp?id=19953).
You can see the event map with the actual routes traveled by participants, and draw your own route for comparison, in RouteGadget (introduction; this event (http://baoc.org/gadget/cgi/reitti.cgi?act=map&id=286)).
Pl Name(s) Time
White Course (1.3 km, 60 m climb, 12 controls) 1 Jamie Maclean (COOL) 18:09 2 Natalie Pelayo (COOL) 20:43 3 Mono Simeone 24:55 4 Andrew Kim (COOL) 29:23 5 Leander Coolen (COOL) 30:45 6 Wilkinson family 31:01 7 Andrea Bocanegra 31:13 8 Amy Bao 35:03 9 Jill Lee 35:09 10 Olivia Luk (COOL) 35:51 11 Joel Gerwein 36:05 12 Kai Rosenbaum 36:21 13 Artemisia Luk (COOL) 38:42 14 Jakob Vangbo 39:22 15 Mason Tatlonghari 39:45 16 Misha Iakovlev 42:13 17 Carter & Tony Edwards 43:37 18 Liam Goudge 49:47 19 Phoebe Tanner 50:04 20 Callie, Quincy, & Zander Rosenzweig 50:06 21 Elisabeth Pelayo (COOL) 57:10 22 Nesbitt/Carmi family 1:20:29 23 Carrie Johnston 1:20:57 Yellow Course (2.3 km, 120 m climb, 13 controls) 1 Gian-Andrin Coolen (COOL) 37:22 2 Julia Doubson (COOL) 37:33 3 Natalie Kim (COOL) 37:49 4 Daniel Sebo (COOL) 41:32 5 Lora Oehlberg 42:21 6 Hannah Sholder 42:23 7 Masha Konkov (COOL) 45:06 8 Samuel Morris (COOL) 48:07 9 Emmet Hegarty (COOL) 48:23 10 Emily Radtke (COOL) 49:50 11 Rory Maclean (COOL) 52:43 12 Hope Fa-Kaji (COOL) 57:08 13 Raphael Rosen 58:01 14 Stefania Gueorguieva 59:21 15 Greg Leyh 1:01:08 16 Team Ginger 1:04:05 17 Kajsa Vangbo 1:06:17 18 Cassandra Pelayo (COOL) 1:06:24 19 Lyle Hopper-Rogers 1:06:50 20 Olivia Ocher 1:07:56 21 Dmitri Gaskin 1:09:53 22 Mike Ellis 1:13:16 23 Johanna Karras (COOL) 1:22:21 24 Dace Krivlova 1:28:16 25 Group Potato Salad 1:31:09 26 Carlos Oliveira 1:31:35 27 Chris High 1:45:26 28 Joe Murray 1:55:47 Lisa Guerin MSP Joel Gerwein DNF Gavin Smith (COOL) DNF Katie Whalen (COOL) DNF Sasha Iakovlev DNF Davy Williams (COOL) DNF Vera Alekseyeva DNF Paul Streepy DNF Ivan Korolev DNF Orange Course (2.8 km, 135 m climb, 12 controls) 1 William Morris (COOL) 34:23 2 Ben Hallsted (COOL) 48:06 3 Shaun Etherington 51:06 4 Ruby Spring (COOL) 55:48 5 Alex Solomatnikov 57:59 6 Olga Seredenko 58:39 7 Pam & Wayne Kaercher 59:39 8 Wes Willett, Lora Oehlberg 1:01:24 9 Amelia Archer (COOL) 1:03:46 10 Paul & Kathy Li 1:05:08 11 Gus Callaway (COOL) 1:06:46 12 Lisa Guerin 1:07:39 13 Amanda Radtke (COOL) 1:14:21 14 Talia Peterson (COOL) 1:15:44 15 Teruko Follette 1:25:02 16 Barbara Finch 1:25:29 17 Daniel Kim (COOL) 1:31:03 18 Jim Fish 1:31:49 19 Susan Kim 1:36:03 20 Harold DeMoss 1:40:13 21 Juan Cuatlatl (COOL) 1:43:08 22 Kevin Walker 1:44:51 23 Zach Baggins (COOL) 1:55:04 24 Ty Gampell 1:55:09 Fedor Karpelevitch DNF Eddie Valladao DNF Matthew Adams (COOL) DNF Brown Course (2.9 km, 125 m climb, 11 controls) 1 Wes Willett 32:07 2 Ingert Svard 36:28 3 Dennis Wildfogel 47:07 4 Gavin Williams (COOL) 58:06 5 Evan Custer 58:34 7 Wes Erck 1:06:47 8 Nigel Killeen 1:11:18 9 Michael Dougherty 1:11:25 10 Jeff Lanam 1:13:50 11 Eddie Valladao 1:16:29 12 Aaron Buchanan 1:17:46 13 Stefan Stefanov 1:21:57 14 Rosemary Johnson 1:24:57 15 Bronwen Caplinger 1:25:13 16 Mike Meagher 1:35:13 17 Terry Gleason 1:35:43 18 Jim Fish 1:41:38 19 Judy Koehler 1:55:12 20 Rosemary Davies 1:56:10 21 Vic Revenko 1:59:43 22 Joan Roos 2:01:42 23 Family van Hoff 2:10:33 Irena Stefanova DNF Arik Rosenthal DNF Green Course (4.2 km, 240 m climb, 17 controls) 1 Matej Sebo (COOL) 55:45 2 Marie-Josée Parayre 1:07:23 3 Steve Haas 1:13:12 4 Werner Haag 1:13:36 5 James Wilson 1:14:13 6 Ralf Burgert 1:15:39 7 Adrian Martin 1:16:26 8 Cornelia Coolen 1:16:51 9 Michael Behrens 1:16:53 10 Greg Ehrensing 1:18:37 11 David Morris 1:18:43 12 Gary Kraght 1:24:02 13 Julian Early (COOL) 1:26:00 14 Diarmaid O'donghaile 1:26:28 15 Gary Carpenter 1:26:30 16 Bill Follette 1:30:24 17 Jonathan Hallsted (COOL) 1:31:02 18 Stephanie Maclean 1:32:28 19 Johanna Merriss 1:39:20 20 Maximillian Marin 1:43:15 21 Chuck Spalding 1:43:42 22 Kate Campbell 1:51:12 23 Krists Krilovs 1:56:47 24 Judy & Tom Cronin 1:58:12 25 Flynn Buxton-Walsh (COOL) 2:01:33 26 Vicki Woolworth 2:08:04 27 Stacy Goss 2:09:00 28 David Hallsted 2:14:51 29 Mark Rice 2:17:23 30 Michael Miller 2:39:18 Fyodor Konkov DNF Rachel Jensen DNF Red Course (5.6 km, 360 m climb, 18 controls) 1 François Léonard 1:10:04 2 Tapio Karras 1:19:39 3 Nikolay Chukanov 1:27:23 4 Matthias Kohler 1:31:30 5 Steven Harrison 1:33:59 6 Steve Gregg 1:37:01 7 Lubomir Sebo 1:51:07 8 Eric Rosenzweig 1:52:00 9 Manfred Kopisch 1:53:51 10 Ray Rosenbaum 1:54:42 11 Shura Kretchetov 1:55:07 12 Theo Verhoeven 2:08:54 13 Christine & Graham Brew 2:16:16 14 Luc Poppe 2:17:55 15 Marina Keating 2:27:23 Derek Maclean DNF Damon Ward DNF Blue Course (7.1 km, 490 m climb, 21 controls) 1 Mikkel Conradi 1:33:17 2 Dennis Wilkinson 1:34:51 3 Greg Khanlarov 1:51:56 4 Alex Finch 1:56:22 5 Penny DeMoss 2:06:15 6 Cedric Lasfargues 2:08:07 7 Kyle Peter 2:11:30 8 Peter Graham 2:15:46 9 Roger Pruett 2:22:36 10 Greg Favor 2:30:46 11 Joe Maffei 2:41:25 12 Lou Lederer 2:52:37 13 Joe Inkenbrandt 2:54:36 Wendell Doman DNF Peter Graube DNF _______________