University of California
Event #4 of 6 in the BAOC 2023 Summer Series
Date: (Sun.) Jul. 9, 2023
Location: Berkeley, CA
Course Setter: François Léonard
Type: C; This is the fourth event of the 2023 Summer Series. Beginners are welcome! (pending park approval)
Related Event Information
2023 Summer Series Summer Series Discount Package Online Event Registration (https://eventreg.orienteeringusa.org/eventregister/a40/register/start/ucb2023) Attackpoint Event Page (https://www.attackpoint.org/eventdetail.jsp/event_56088) Last Year’s Event
The information on this page is preliminary—the details are subject to change.
This event will be the fourth of six events in the 2023 Summer Series. However, we want to emphasize that everyone is welcome to come out and do one (or more) of the courses, regardless of whether or not you have attended, or plan to attend, other Summer Series events.
We encourage beginners to attend, no experience is necessary. The UC campus has many distinctive landmarks, such as the Campanile, so anyone should be able to navigate the Beginner course.
The conditions of our permit do not allow us to serve food at the event, so we will not be able to supply the usual snacks. Thus, this event will be BYOS (Bring Your Own Snacks).
We look forward to seeing everyone at what is always a fun event!
Location on Campus
Registration will be held at the courtyard of the Social Sciences Building (https://www.berkeley.edu/map/) (formerly Barrows Hall), which is located on the south side of the campus, near Bancroft Way, and near Sather Gate and Sproul Plaza.
This is the same location we have used for the last several events.
The standard BAOC event schedule will be followed:
- 9:00 AM – 11:59 AM: Registration open
- 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM: Beginner clinic instruction (free)
- 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM: Starts are open for all courses
- 2:00 PM: Courses close, checkpoint control pick-up begins
At registration, all juniors must be accompanied by parents or legal guardians, or bring with them a waiver signed by their parent or legal guardian (the registration form is available here (PDF/12KB)).
Note that you can register and start on the courses anytime during the open times above. Thus, for example, you do not need to be “punctual” at 10:30 (but you can if you want, but please don’t show up earlier and expect to be served).
Beginners clinics are 15–20 minute, repeating sessions that introduce the sport of orienteering, and provide enough instruction to be able to complete the Beginner (White) course.
Note that you must return to the Finish by 2:00 PM, and then go to the download table, even if you have not finished your course. Please do not leave without checking in! We need to have everyone accounted for so checkpoint pick-up can start on time so those volunteers can get home.
Registration and Costs
- Note: There is a special Summer Series Discount Package for BAOC members. The details are described here.
The following fees apply at this event:
- $3 for each junior on the Beginner course
- $8 for each adult on the Beginner course
- $5 for each junior on the Short or Long course
- $15 for each adult member on the Short or Long course
- $20 for each adult non-member on the Short or Long course
- $1 for a compass rental (optional)
- $5 for an electronic fingerstick rental (optional, but each team will need one to complete the course)
- $15 for the lowest-cost individual one-year BAOC membership (optional)
- You can register at the event or online before the event (see below).
- At the event, we can accept payment by cash or check (but no electronic payments).
- Juniors are age 8 through 20 (under age 8 is free).
- There is no charge for a second course (but you must end up paying for the more expensive course—i.e., Short or Long after Beginner).
- Members of other orienteering clubs can pay the “member” fee. (We hope your club does the same for our members. 🙂)
More information about event pricing is available in the club FAQ. All the prices are also shown on the standard entry form (PDF/12KB), which you can print and fill out in advance to save some time at the event. (You will need one entry form for each group of people going on a course together.)
Optional Online Registration
You can (but are not required to) register online here (https://eventreg.orienteeringusa.org/eventregister/a40/register/start/ucb2023) for this event, but only if you are registering as an individual (i.e., not a group, team, troop, etc.). BAOC members have the option of registering here (https://eventreg.orienteeringusa.org/eventregister/a40/register/start/23sspackage) for the Summer Series Discount Package. In either case, you must pay via PayPal (with credit card, debit card, or PayPal account).
Note: If you register online, you must pay online sometime before the event, and you must complete the online waiver.
Online registration for this event will close on Saturday, July 8th, at 6:00 PM.
- Online registration is not required—you can register at the event. Individuals might want to register in advance to simplify check-in at the event.
- The Summer Series Discount Package is available only to club members.
- Online registration is available only to individuals, not to groups (i.e., sharing a single E-stick). Groups must register at the event.
- Compass rental cannot be arranged during online registration, but you can register online and rent a compass at the event.
- E-punch fingerstick rental can be arranged during online registration.
- You can see who is registered here (https://eventreg.orienteeringusa.org/eventregister/a40/reglist/home/ucb2023) (but keep in mind that others will register at the event and through the Summer Series Discount Package).
Water and restrooms should be available inside the Social Sciences Building. If it happens that the building is closed that day, there will be open restrooms at Sproul Hall about 150 meters away.
As mentioned above, no snacks will be served at this event. There are many food opportunities just steps away on Bancroft Way.
What to Bring
Running attire and running shoes are fine. Comfortable outdoors attire and walking shoes are fine for those who will walk their course.
A compass is not necessary, but can be helpful. We have compasses available for a $1 rental fee.
We time the courses with the SPORTident system, so a SPORTident fingerstick is required for each team—they rent for $5. (Use of the “E-punch” system is easy. You can learn how at the event, or read about it here.)
The course details will be provided here closer to the event date.
- Keep in mind that you can earn Series points from the first course you run at the event, and only if it’s one of the ranking courses. That is, you will not earn points if you run the Beginner course first, and then one of the ranking courses.
- This event will observe Sprint rules for all the courses, which means there are strict interpretations of some of the symbols on the map. In particular, some symbols indicate features that must not be crossed (i.e., even if it’s physically possible to cross them), and areas that are out of bounds (i.e., must not be entered). If you don’t know about those symbols, be sure to ask somebody before going to the Start.
- In addition to being against orienteering rules, violating those restrictions could jeopardize our ability to hold events on the campus in the future!
2023 Summer Series
This is the fourth event of the BAOC 2023 Summer Series. The Series consists of six events, each of which has two “ranking courses” for the overall “Short” and “Long” Summer Series results. At this event, points will be awarded to all the individuals (but not groups or teams) who complete the Short or Long course (as their first course at the event).
Details of the Summer Series scoring system are available here. (Note that we need your birth year if you want to be scored properly.)
For all of you who enjoy orienteering, help us help others catch that joy.
Please contact me if you can help for about an hour at the U.C. Berkeley event. Here are the available offerings:
- Registration, either of two shifts
- Beginner Clinics
- Starts, either of two shifts
- Checkpoint Pickup, need 4 or more
- Take Down
Thank you kindly, Daniel Šebo, Event Director ()
Parking, although always tight, is free on Sunday along the roads south and north of the main campus (Bancroft and Hearst, respectively). Arrive early to secure space on Bancroft near Telegraph (closest to the Social Sciences Building). More free Sunday parking is available on the streets south of Bancroft. There are many pay spaces around the campus and in nearby garages, such as the Upper and Lower Bancroft Garages, and Telegraph & Channing Garage. Suggested streets and garages are shown in the map to the right (click on the map to see a larger image, and click on that image for an even larger one).
- Notes on on-street parking meters: You can pay with coins (nickels, dimes, or quarters), credit or debit cards (Visa or Master Card), or the ParkMobile app (http://www.parkmobile.io/) on your smartphone. Time limits are strictly enforced and may not be extended by adding more money after the posted maximum time limit has expired.
- Parking tip for Downtown Berkeley: Drive to the North Berkeley BART station (http://www.bart.gov/stations/nbrk), park your car there for free (on weekends), and take AC Transit 52 (schedule (http://www.actransit.org/maps/schedule_results.php?ms_view_type=1&version_id=43&maps_category=2&maps_line=52&map_submit=Get+Schedule¤t_schedule=30871)) to the stop at Bancroft & Telegraph (11-minute ride), then walk to the Social Sciences Building. Alternatively, you can take BART one stop south to the Downtown Berkeley station and walk from there.
Public Transit is highly encouraged! The Downtown Berkeley BART station (http://www.bart.gov/stations/dbrk) is one block west of campus, and from there it's a pleasant 0.5-mile walk through campus to the Social Sciences Building (see the map above).
Local buses are also available at Telegraph & Bancroft/Durant. AC Transit routes 6, 36, 51B, 52, 79, and F stop here, and connect with Downtown Berkeley BART, North Berkeley BART, Rockridge BART, Telegraph Ave, University Ave, etc. Please refer to the map above, and check Google Maps (https://www.google.com/maps/dir//Social+Sciences+Building,+Berkeley,+CAemail@example.com,-122.2930081,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x80857c25938066c3:0x73f82f3646d8e0bd!2m2!1d-122.2579888!2d37.8700322!3e3!5m1!1e2) and AC Transit (http://www.actransit.org/maps/) for more information.