In orienteering, "the thinking sport", you use a map and compass to navigate a course through unfamiliar terrain. People of all ages enjoy orienteering as a leisurely walk in the woods or as a competitive cross-country race.
Newcomers are welcome at BAOC events, which are held throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. We offer beginners' courses suitable for both individuals and families, as well as advanced courses that challenge the technical and physical capabilities of individuals and small teams. Learn more here.
News and Notes
A welcome page for runners has been added to the website. Also, a Google calendar has been added to the Schedule page—if you have a personal Google calendar, you can subscribe to this one to have the events displayed on your calendar.
A new order for club uniform shirts is being placed! The details are here.
Various "news" items are posted on this page. Recent items:
- Nominations open for 2018 BAOC Service Award (11/9/18)
- BAOC Results at 2018 U.S. Nationals (10/23/18)
- BAOC Juniors on 2018 JWOC Team (3/25/18)
- Dec. 1 - 2 -
Bon Tempe Reservoir
C; Greg Ehrensing Memorial Volunteer Appreciation Event; LIMITED ATTENDANCE; RESERVATIONS REQUIRED
- Dec. 4 (Tue.) -
BAOC Board Meeting - William Walker Recreation Center
Quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors—7:00-10:00 PM; free pizza will be available at 6:30—All club members and other interested people are welcome
- Dec. 7 - 9 -
Sprint San Francisco - San Francisco Bay Area
A; Friday: Sprint Relay; Saturday: 3-round tournament; Sunday: NRE Qualifier and NRE Final
- Dec. 15 (Sat.) -
Willow Glen Holiday Lights - Willow Glen Neighborhood
C; 60- or 90-minute Light-O (Score-O) course and potluck social
Other Significant Upcoming Events
- Jul. 21 - Aug. 2, 2020 -
California Orienteering Festival; San Francisco Bay Area & Lake Tahoe Area -
Ten days of activities including the North American Championships (NAOC) and the World Rogaining Championships (WRC) — see separate Schedule entries for each event (pending park approval)
Erin Schirm, OUSA Junior National Coach, organizes small, informal training sessions throughout the year. The list of upcoming (and past) sessions is here. (Training events are generally not listed in the main schedule.)
Other Northern California Orienteering Opportunities
The organizations listed below put on events in Northern California and nearby. Their events are listed on the Schedule page.
- Gold Country Orienteers (GCO) (http://www.goldcountryorienteers.org) – Organizes orienteering events in the Sacramento area
- Nav-X (http://www.navxchallenge.com) – Organizes map trekking events in Northern California
- terraloco (http://go-terraloco.blogspot.com) – Organizes urban and wilderness map adventures
- Truckee Orienteering Club (http://www.truckeeorienteering.org) – Organizes orienteering events in the Lake Tahoe area